Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Best Chick Show You're (Possibly) Not Watching

If you haven't seen Men in Trees yet (ABC, Friday nights at ten), you don't know what you're missing. If you party on Friday night, just tape/TiVo the damned show and enjoy it another night. You can always get the back story and back episodes on ABC's web site.

Anne Heche plays Marin Frist, a relationship coach who flees her cheating fiance back in NYC, ending up in "man-centric" (ABC's term) Elmo, Alaska. The characters are quirkily human and the writing is great (love the dialogue!), so the show is soooo worth watching. (The occasional naked male chest doesn't hurt it any.)

I fell for Men in Trees from the first. (And I don't even like Anne Heche, so the show had one strike against it. But Heche as Marin has won me over.) In fact, now that Ugly Betty has stumbled a bit in its second season (my opinion), Men in Trees is the one show I truly look forward to all week. Well, okay, Boston Legal is the show I most look forward to--I need that weekly Spader fix--but Men in Trees is a close second. It moves me. The voiceover of the Marin Frist character at the end of each show often produces a lump in my throat.

The DH insists that the reasons I like the show (he definitely doesn't) are A, I'm crazy for Alaska, and B, it's "Northern Exposure" done as a chick show. I admit to also loving "NE" when it was on TV. But "MiT" is special. It really, truly is. I suspect it's the writing that keeps me coming back for more.

I'll have to riff on ABC's fabulous new show Dirty Sexy Money another day (Peter Krause!), because, while it is fabulous, it's just not...

Men in Trees.

Barrie

No comments: